Originally Posted by IZH27
To keep focus, the question is not meant to open up a conversation about good works theology. The question is rather specific. There are more than a few guys on this forum who recently and historically have emphasized good works as a necessity for salvation.

A primary underlying principle of this teaching is that one either works with God or alone to “be holy”.

For those who hold to this view how do you measure your good works, your successfulness in completing good works and how do you assess God’s measurement of your good works?

Ok, I will stick as close as I can to your query….

1. “Good works” are simply NOT a necessity for salvation. In it’s simplest form, this is a false and unbiblical teaching. The “underlying principle”…. that one “either works with God or alone”….. to “be holy” is a wrongheaded, untrue and biblically unsupported premise.

2. - Having said that, you are correct in your observation that there are those who do indeed “measure” their own good works. They will make a “judgment” or reach a conclusion about how they will fare when God does the judging. With only a few exceptions, these folks will do a “mind review” of their goods deeds and do a further “mind review” of their own good intentions and right attitudes…. THEN, they assess…. Themselves…..as being “worthy.”

Be sure to see here that they are making huge assumptions about how God will judge…. They assume their own judgment of themselves will a match for God’s judgments and God will be “ok” with them.

Won’t work out that way.

Jesus himself speaks of this……”Depart from me, I never knew you…”

Last edited by TF49; 06/05/22. Reason: Spel

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”