Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
"I don't get it" because I see with clarity since I was never indoctrinated, and appreciate skepticism and critical thinking. Do you get that?
Here is what I get.

You may have missed a good opportunity - but missing indoctrination does not automatically indicate that a person sees clearly, appreciates skepticism and thinks critically. I know some unindoctrinated folks who can't or don't do the above.

Then again, I know some who were indoctrinated and who also see very clearly, appreciate skepticism and are excellent critical thinkers.

Experience says that indoctrination may not matter much, or at all. On the other hand, self-honesty can be a big asset.

Most people will use skepticism and critical thinking for most parts of their daily lives, but not so with their religious beliefs. Those that do so honestly however typically become atheists - - -
I can't argue your statement that "most people will use skepticism and critical thinking for most parts of their daily lives" because I haven't seen any good scientific data on that point - either positive or negative. Based on long personal experience, I think your statement is way off the mark.

As for your claim that people do not engage skepticism and critical thinking with regard to their religious beliefs, I know your claim to be in error - and some content of the threads you latch onto here provide proof. I have not given time or effort to in-depth study of atheists and what got them to where they are - maybe I will look into that. But, I have known a bunch - some close professional acquaintances - and have been in deep discussions with quite a few. Frankly, many of them seem frustrated and trapped in some hopeless circular quest. YMMV.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron