Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
The issue is faith. That faith is a poor means of sorting fact from fiction. An absence of evidence does not support a justified conviction, nor does redefining evidence to suit one's needs alter the terms of justification.
The above position may very well be useful for the person who has no knowledge or direct experience with the dynamics of faith.
Do tell. Look around and see what people are placing their faith in, Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Islam, politics, various ideologies.....
If nothing else, you seem consistent - you again missed the point entirely. Sorry - the universe does not revolve around the navel of your perceptions.
That's not an argument. It's angst. Sour Grapes. The point is that faith is a poor means of determining truth. In fact, because you begin with a conclusion of truth, it is not the way to sort fact from fiction.
For that you need an open mind, to be willing to consider other possibilities, however unpalatable these possibilities may be.
It might have been helpful - and more intellectually honest - for you have begun that declaration with something like "the concept of faith as I know and understand it - - - ".

Most likely, no one here is going to argue that opinion as you expressed it - it is very closed mind oriented and in it you reveal your limited understanding of the concept of faith.

Of course you are welcome to your view and the expression of it, but when engaging the deep and wide matters of involved with such faith, your view comes across and simplistic and childish - and not useful for discussion or growth.

The definition of faith I refer to is in the dictionary, as defined in the dictionary in relation to religion.

It is not my definition. Nor is it 'how I understand faith,' but how it is in fact defined.

Your rationale is disingenuous.
"
No - not disingenuous at all - straightforward. The definition you put in force here is "your" definition. If your secretly hold to a definition but actually pose one that is different, that indeed is disingenuous behavior. Still not useful. either way.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron