Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
[quote=DBT][quote=TF49]DBT posted.....

"What a load of Crock. I don't write the definitions given in dictionaries.

As it happens, there is a condition where people hold convictions without the support of evidence....which is why we say they have faith that their conviction is true.

Now, as we are talking about religion, which is a belief in any of a number of versions of God or gods, without the support of evidence, what do our dictionaries tell us?

faith
2: belief that is not based on proof: (He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.)
3: belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion.

Definition of faith
b- 1: firm belief in something for which there is no proof.

As anyone can see, these are not my definitions. It is not something I insist on, or how I ''understand it.''

This is just the definition of faith in relation to any belief that is held without the support of evidence.

As we have no evidence for the existence of any of the many versions of God or gods, to believe in these things is a matter of faith: as defined above.

You don't have a leg to stand on."

Nope and as usual you are either just plain wrong or in some clumsy attempt to “redefine” biblical. "What a load of Crock is right. You retreat into your own mind and dredge up nonsense based on your own opinion and NOT based on Jesus or Chrisian doctrine.

Like MM, you are simply making things up in an apparent attempt to convince ... yourself.....IDK...

So…..in this case you build a strawman to knock down.

Faith…..

1. - Where does “faith in God” come from?

Romans 1:16-17 ….”Faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ.”

2. – How does one receive “faith.” Faith is a gift but you must stretch out your hand and receive it. A “gift” is not a gift unless the recipient takes it. Believe the testimony of the Spirit about your own sin and the truth about Jesus and “choose” or “believe” …. Or “accept”…… use your own descriptor words here …. and faith is imparted to you. When it is imparted, there is no more doubt.

Ephesians 2:8-9……”For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast.”

3. – Once you have faith, it is very very real.

Hebrews 11:1…..”Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen…”

Get that? “… the EVIDENCE of things not see.”

Simple terms…. “proof”

One can view this faith as “assurance”… or as confidence or simple “reality” …. Or as a “firm foundation”…. Or….. “the real being of..”…. or “ the actual existence of” ….or a “resolute trust” …. Or as “the substantial nature of….”

There are two points here... the first is that yes, there is real, reliable evidence..... the second is..... you... as yet, do not have it.

Hebrews 11:1 does not refer to external, objective evidence as a foundation for belief, it tells us that faith is its own justification.

''Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.'' - Hebrews 11:1 equates to ''belief that is not based on proof''

You say that there is evidence, but what you mean is subjective experience, which is an expression of faith.

Well, you are still wrong. You keep going back to a dictionary definition of faith and yet the general discussion regards “faith” as set forth in the Bible. You are apparently unprepared to discuss biblical faith. No surprise there.

Well, I'm not wrong because you happen to declare ''you are still wrong.''

In fact it has nothing to do with me. As pointed out, it's just basic logic, evidence and justification.

Hebrews clearly states that faith is its own justification when we are told ''faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen''

Here we have faith as ''the substance of things hoped for'' and it is faith that is ''the evidence of things unseen.''

If you are unable to grasp this much, nothing can be done to help you understand that faith is a belief held without the support of evidence, that with sufficient evidence, you don't need faith.

Not to mention using the source material, holy books, etc, as 'evidence' for their claims.

Well, indeed, you are still wrong. I have previously told you of the indwelling of God and you continue to either discount that or ignore it.

You have not the indwelling and are unable to grasp the truth.

Again, your choice

Declaring "Well, indeed, you are still wrong" is not evidence of me being wrong. The definition of faith in Hebrews, as explained, clearly states that faith is its own justification, which is in line with how faith is defined in relation to a belief held without the support of evidence: faith.

Just because that make you unhappy doesn't make it untrue.