There have a number of comments about “faith” and “hope” with some hiding behind “modern day” definitions of both these terms.

Let’s take a look at “ hope.”

In society today, “hope” is not backed by anything. It rests on a foundation of uncertainty at best. When someone says “I hope this or that..”. There is no certainty and no promise and one is left with ….what?

Hope could be based on my experience of my own ability or perhaps my strong right arm…. But, that is a type of hope is filled with uncertain outcomes as well. Might as well trust in the whimsy of similarly uncertain “fate.”

Modern day/earthly hope is based on a desire for something good…. to happen or come my way or ?

Biblical hope is very very different….it also is a desire for something good to happen but it is based …. has a foundation… that is quite different.

Romans 5:5 refers to the hope that arises out of God’s indwelling….”and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.”

I have explained to DBT and others that the Christian does indeed have “proof” of God through the indwelling. We also have “hope” that is based on the Living God within us.

This hope is indeed based on a firm foundation.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”