Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by Hastings
That would be requiring them to prove a negative which in most cases is not possible.
That’s clearly a false claim and has been pointed out as such every time you’ve made it. Not being able to prove a negative is a principle of folk logic, not actual logic. You’ve clearly ignored the previous responses to the false claim that you’re again making above, as is your prerogative.
There are some negatives I can prove. There is no elephant in my house. I can prove that. I cannot prove there are no passenger pigeons left and you cannot prove there are or are not. I cannot prove there are not space aliens walking among us although I'm pretty sure there are not. I think most atheists are of the opinion that the God most people conceptualize is not a reasonable or likely reality. I think most self identified atheists are not sure or able to tell us what was the first cause and where all this matter originated. Stephen Hawking says the whole universe originated from the explosion of a particle smaller than an atom. I cannot disprove that but I don't believe it. So, yes sometimes you can prove a negative, but in this case you cannot. You and I can assuredly say there is a higher power beyond complete human understanding (a God for instance) and I'm pretty sure an atheist is likewise going to admit that while he doesn't believe in "God" he doesn't have the answers to the existence and first cause. Where would Hawking say all that matter came from that collapsed upon itself until it compressed into something that exploded into our whole expanding universe? We all might do well to say we don't know to a lot of questions.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."