Originally Posted by IZH27

I see a few trends that seem to hold through these threads over the years.

American Christianity has defined itself as a moral religion, i.e. Christianity has the best moral code, follow it and you will go to heaven. That isn’t the Gospel or the message of Christianity. That message is “humanity is pretty much broken and not nearly as moral as it thinks, here is the answer”.

There is no objectivity to Christianity. This one is interesting. From the beginning of the Christian Faith, which finds its roots from the beginning of time, fact has been the basis of the religion. I’m sure that there are several factors that have led to this misunderstanding.

Science, man’s best understanding of the material world, is quickly used as an explanation against God. We are given science as an argument against the metaphysical. I guess we could discuss hard science and soft science in relation to this angle. We are left with the highest thoughts of humanity trying to define the existence and mechanisms of God.

I enjoy these threads and hearing what people believe. I’d love to sit down with most here, have a few cold beers and talk about theology, life and anything else that came up in conversation. The conversation(s) would be much more enjoyable.

There is a huge problem with the bible's moral code.

On the one hand we have salvation through faith, believe in Jesus and you are saved and the other, salvation through work, a moral requirement.

Then the biggest problem of all, the golden rule and moral code of love is described to have been broken on numerous occasions by the God of the bible. Ordering killings, killing everyone and everything in a flood, blood sacrifice, etc.