Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
AS-
Just a couple simple questions....

Which of the 10 Comandments would you disagree with?

And why?

Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by 19352012
I'm curious why people who dont believe the Bible still talk about it. It's like the oddest phenomena. You dont believe so it has no impact on you yet you cannot resist endless discussion. Why? I dont believe in calculus or trigonometry and I have never once entertained the thought of discussing those things. I dont get it.

If you think the actions of Christians has no impact on my life, you are just wrong. This is especially try when they wish to legislate their believes into the class room and science labs.

And if you believe in them or not, Calculus and Trig impact your life everyday as well.

Which version?
You do know there's two versions of The Ten in the Bible, right?

How about we start with all those in direct opposition to the principle in our Bill of Rights, beginning with the First in the Version from Exodus 20:

1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Let's compare that to the First Amendment:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;....
So beginning with the First Amendment, The 10 are anti-American, but it gets worse.

2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth, which violates the clause above, and next clause in the 1st Amendment:

...or abridging the freedom of speech,...because under current interpretation speech includes art, even that of a religious nature.

The 2nd commandment continues ...Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;... with more violations of the first, but also violates the 5th Amendment, No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury....nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law..., the 6th Amendment, "In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury"
when God skips all semblance of justice by punishing the 5 generations of descendants of those who chose to exercise their rights under the First Amendment of our Constitution. Since God admits he's visiting "iniquity" upon them, and especially if that iniquity includes Hell, he's violating the 8th Amendment " Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted."

Keep in mind, were are only up to the 2nd Commandment, an your God's already violated virtually every founding legal principle of this republic.

Commandment 3, Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain, another violation of the 1st Amendment.

Regarding the 4th Commandment, as a principle I stand behind it. Everybody needs time off, and I do my best to take at least one day in seven as a day of rest and contemplation, especially as I get older. But if you are Sam O during feeding and calving season, he's going to need a more flexible in how how he implements such a principle.

Commandment 5: Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
It's interesting to note that this commandment is unidirectional. Children, Honor they father and mother, but it contains no expectation for the parents to do likewise.

Commandment 6: Thou shalt not kill. This is the most hypocritical of all of God's commandments, beginning with the Flood Story, where he murders virtually all life on the planet and the 30+ genocides he orders or condones throughout the OT.

Commandments 7 and 8. Thou shalt not commit adultery, and Thou shalt not steal. Oh, the two good one's. Notice just how long it takes God to get to his two universally accepted good ideas.

Commandment 9: Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour Notice, this is not a prohibition against lying, just a prohibition on perjury, but only against "thy neighbour", or other Jews. This commandment in now way prevent Jews from lying in court against non-Jews.

And perhaps the worst commandment of all, 10:
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

If you like this commandment, you should really like the world of George Orwells 1984, because this commandment criminalized thought. That's right, it's a Thought Crime. This completely dispenses with the 5th Amendment concept of '"...nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself..". Your very thoughts are used to convict you, regardless of your actions.

But why are you stopping at the first 10 what about the other 603?

How about the prohibitions on mixed fabrics, forcing abortions of women suspected of adultery, beating your slaves as much as you want so long as they don't die for a day or two (Notice, Though shall not own another human as property does not appear in the 10 Commandments, nor did a total prohibition on beating your slaves to death, just a prohibition on the death coming too quickly), prohibitions on crop diversity, Boiling a baby goat in it's Mother's Milk, not eating any fat, or shellfish, and lets not forget pork. Needless to say, on balance the other 600 don't fair all the well either, but some of the most offense to our American Values are contained with the Exodus 10.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell