Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by TF49

IZH27 posted:

“.....American Christianity has defined itself as a moral religion, i.e. Christianity has the best moral code, follow it and you will go to heaven....”

I was uncertain of how to interpret your,post. To clarify, the excerpt noted above is totally wrong and completely unbiblical.

No one.... will go to heaven by following “the best moral code.”

That's your personal interpretation of Christianity, but the interrelations of faith, works and still hotly debated to this day.

Not sure what you mean by “interrelations of faith... works.... hotly debated...”

I am not familiar with any significant Christian denomination that holds to the idea that adherence to some “moral code” is sufficient to gain entrance into the presence of a Holy God.

That would be very odd..... a Christian denomination that teaches or believes that adherence to a code of behavior.... moral code... would supplant the work of Christ on the cross.

The problem with a moral code is “how good is good enough?

Also, what about the poor soul who has led a life of debauchery and sin but sees himself for what he is.... is there no forgiveness for him because the “bad” outweighs the good?

James refers to a faith without works as being a dead faith.

There are some OT people who demonstrated faith by their works.

“Works” are good. Works are important, but works without the foundation of faith seem of little consequence when it comes to judgment.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”