Originally Posted by Brazos
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by grouseman
I've always loved the big BMW boxers. Not sure how parking lot rebuildable they are.

They haven’t built an AirHead (air-cooled motor) since 1995. Pretty sure the OilHeads are quite complex.

?????

I owned the last of the classic air-cooled gummikuhns, a 1994 BMWR100 GS/PD, it was beautiful and I would have kept it forever but I cannot abide an unreliable bike. Pretty bike, lots of class, but a POS in execution. After three significant warranty repairs I had to accept the fact that it was never gonna be "fixed" and sold it off as soon as I paid it off two years and 45,000 miles after I bought it. It looked good sitting in the driveway but sucked as a daily driver.

During that time I attended two BMW National Rallies along with a good friend who had just bought then then new Oil/air cooled 1200cc (??) GS version. At both rallies R100 GS/PD's like mine had to be towed/shipped home, so it weren't just me. I got lucky, even though the cylinder studs on the left side pulled en-route (cases later replaced under warranty) mine got me back from Colorado.

My friends significantly faster and more powerful fuel-injected next generation GS went as far on his six-gallon tank as my old-school R bike went on it's nine. But I could service that old-school R bike all by myself; simple valves, conventional carbs, it was simple.

I confess, I dunno what is involved on the new ones.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744