One road bike I had and which I truly loved, was a 1982 gl1100 Gold Wing; the stripped model. The mini plexi fairing gave good protection for me. I changed fork springs and installed Koni Shocks at the rear which raised the ride height by a little better than an inch. I had narrower bars on it which changed the riding position just a little. This was the only bike I ever had which was comfortable for a 600 mile day. It was smooth, had adequate power, and could cruise easily at 80 mph. Mileage was close to fifty miles per gallon. When we travelled as a family, my wife carried our daughter and their rain gear on her Kawasaki 750. I carried our son, all the baggage , and the dog, on the Gold Wing. When we stopped for gas, I would generally take about 30 cents less than she would. It handled well although it took some effort on the bars to negotiate hard corners. With the taller, stiffer, suspension, I had to work hard to touch the pegs. It was stable on gravel and slides were easily controlled. Top speed was between 125 and 130 if I was by myself. I rode it for 60,000 trouble-free miles until I sold it and bought a 1989 BMW R100 GS. This bike got worse mileage, had less power, was less comfortable, and re-introduced me to the joys of being stranded when the damn thing would break down. It did handle better on gravel and was easier to steer on twisty roads but that was it. It wasn't until I bought the V-strom that I had a bike I could like. It's smoother than the Wing and handles better. Not as powerful or fast but not bad. Mileage about the same. EFI sucks but we're stuck with it. Not quite as comfortable to sit on but close. I've done 600 mile days on it but am daydreaming of getting into a bed by the time I am done. Of course it is 35 years later and I may not be quite as fit as I was. Today, If I buy another bike, I'm likely to buy a Triumph Bonneville just because I like the looks. We tried a Harley Roadster, during a retro phase, but when we tried it on a demo ride, I ground the muffler down in the first right hand turn I took so that was that. If they would make a naked V-Strom, that would be, for me, the perfect bike. GD