Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Ya, certainly in mid-remembering the R80 as an R75. It was the one with that small but functional fairing that I think was the inspiration for the great fairing on the 90’s KLRs.

Litany of woes on the R100GS/PD, front to back. The cool-looking fairing was IIRC actually made out of heavy fiberglass and HAD to be protected by that metal framework, worse, the windshield was a tad too far forward, it would direct the windblast directly on the helmet, resulting in a lot of wind noise and even an incipient pressure sore on your forehead after a 14 hour superslab day.

The clutch piston failed twice in 45,000 miles, the nearest dealership back then was 100 miles away in Austin.

The famously fragile French speedometer failed at 30,000 miles, I rode the last 15,000 using the tachometer as a speedometer
The nine-gallon fiberglass gas tank came with a nifty little locking compartment on top. The cheap lock failed as did the locks on both hard luggage panniers.

Over time, the frame abraded the underside of that big gas tank to the extent that it was about to develop a leak.

The drive cable for that fragile French speedo of course came out of an opening in the top of the transmission, sealed by a rubber plug. Turns out that plug was prone to coming loose, even if you had never touched it. I got water in the transmission twice.

Speaking of water, in heavy rain or after splashing through a body of water the electronic circuitry would get wet, causing the motor to miss or cut out. Just the thing to happen in traffic in a rainstorm.

The 25,000 mile paralever driveshaft cost $600 back in the 90’s, luckily, both of my replacements were warranted.

Finally, the taillight was so cheap and flimsy it woulda been embarrassing on a bicycle. Numerous times I was riding without brake or taillights and never knew it.

Other Beemers were much better than that.

I think you're not really serious & much too stuck in the past....................new bikes are a different & way better animal.

If you're really serious, go take some test rides rather than yakin' on here.

MM