Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by Jahrs
My ‘78 R100/7 gets it done for me. Very dependable and will do 115 - 120 easily. She will run 75 easy all day long.

Yeah, that's a great 2-up, all day, cross country bike, alright. LOL

MM

Puzzled by this comment. Actually, it is, especially if neither of you ain’t seriously overweight.

Not really "great". Not bad, but not great. The bike tops out at 117MPH. I bought my 1998 R1100R in the summer of 1998.

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/bmw/bmw_r1100r_75th_anniversary.htm

I had been on the Harley waiting list for two years by that point. When we got back from a three week vacation in Europe there was a message on our answering machine from the local HD shop saying they could take my order now. Back then, the dealers seemed a bit arrogant. I went down to the local BMW shop the next week and paid $12,800 for my Roadster, quite a bit less than the Harley but that included hard cases and the windscreen, in addition to heated grips, fuel injection, catalytic converter, ABS, etc. Buying a new BMW also gets you a subscription to BMW MOA magazine. I'd lusted after the then new R75/5 when they were introduced in the early 70's, and found a 1976 R90/6 for sale in the classifieds of that magazine. Pristine, low miles. Had it shipped from Georgia. But, the brakes were weak, the power just not impressive despite not great mileage. Nice nostalgic bike, but not really something that could keep pace with the R1100R. I eventually sold it to a guy from Seattle. He drove down with an enclosed trailer, loaded it up and drove off. I broke even on the deal, which is a testament to the nostalgic value of older BMWs. I later picked up a second 75th Anniversary, low miles, the VINs are less than 300 apart, so my son and I could ride to Sturgis. Pretty funny that, 450,000 Harleys, 40 BMWs.

I still have those bikes, and they're as good as new. I wouldn't hesitate to jump on them tomorrow and tour the country. The old airheads will do it too, of course, but just not as well. Time and tech march on. As I said previously, the new Roadster sounds like one of the best all around road bikes available. All the new electronic riding aids, almost twice the HP of my current bikes, a 50% higher, flatter torque curve with the Shift Cam design, etc. I'll likely sell one of the R1100Rs and get the R1250R next Spring. Excited about it, actually.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Paddler; 04/29/19.

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope