Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Sitting here burning up the iPhone will watching over the grandkid...

What I would want in a motorcycle.

1) ABILITY TO PULL 80 ALL DAY LONG ON THE INTERSTATE.

Essential when crossing the Continent. I have heard this eliminates the Harley Sportsters which do pull 80, but which beat you Death doing so.

2) ROOM FOR A PASSENGER.

Doesn’t have to be a sofa, but shouldn’t be S&M gear either. This eliminates sportbikes which impart a gynecological exam chair posture to the passenger.

3) THREE CYLINDERS OR LESS.

When loping along at a moderate speed, one to three cylinders impart a pleasant, companiable rhythm whereas IME inline fours are just dull as a post when not wound out.

4) SERIOUS CORNERINGING CLEARANCE.

When it comes to roadbike skills, corners are everything. Gotta be able to lean 30+ degrees in corners. This eliminates all Harleys except for the Sportster cafe racer, which barely makes the cut.

5) PICK-UPPABLE BY ONE PERSON AFTER TIP-OVER.

I have this phobia of being found dead in the desert....... next to my tipped-over motorcycle.

Might eleminate the Harley Dresser And GoldWing-class motorcycles

So far Bristoe’s 650 Bergmann scooter is one of the top picks grin :

6) REBUILDABLE IN A PARKING LOT.

Only ones still that simple anymore I know of are the air cooled 650 thumper dual sports by Suzuki and Honda.

7) A FOREVER MOTORCYCLE.

A classic worth keeping forever, supported by a continuing availability of parts.

Not sure I know of one that meets all of the above.

https://www.royalenfield.com/us/en/

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.