Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

"In terms of pure workmanship, personally I don't like Harleys. I ride them because I'm in the club, and that's the image, but if I could I would seriously consider riding a Honda ST1100 or a BMW. We really missed the boat not switching over to the Japanese models when they began building bigger bikes. I'll usually say "[bleep] Harley-Davidson." – Ralph "Sonny" Barger, Hell's Angel"

Where did you find that quote?

I'm pretty sure it's in this book. I read it many years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Hells-Angel-Barger-Angels-Motorcycle/dp/0060937548

Old book, old quote, about old bikes.

The new HD's are great bikes, for the purposes that they are intended. They are virtually 100% reliable, tons of torque & are simply unsurpassed for comfort for long highway cruising, either 1-up & most especially, 2-up.

I've had older one & they left a lot to be desired, even when rebuilt & built up; I got 2 newer one & that have been 100% reliable & trouble free.

The HD's of today, starting with the Twin Cam versions thru the new engines, are not your HD's of previous iterations, either engine wise or suspension wise. At 80 mph, they are just loafing along.

As for Sporsters, had one in the '80's, built it into an 80'incher with full custom paint; it'll work for short rides 2-up if neither rider is too big...............I was 6', 170'ish & my chickadee was maybe 5'3, 120 lb, & she was a great passenger, so it worked just fine. But I sure as hell wouldn't want a 1,000 mile trip with her azz on the back. At least when riding solo, I could lay out & put my feet over the back pegs, now & then to break things up.

I'm plus 200 now & the bike is just too small other than trips around town.

A SuperGlide fills the fun bike bill now, with a Road King for serious travel.

MM