Originally Posted by renegade50
40 miles out now.....

Thanks fer noticing, and reading. I figured someone would notice but I was being conservative before.

I guess it hinges upon how fast a 55hp motor is gonna push that dugout. It occurs to me now another reason for hauling em up on shore might have been to keep the hull from getting waterlogged, besides shipworms and barnacles. Somewhere I got a pic of us hauling the boat onto the beach,

At the time I estimated 7mph, point of reference back in high school I had a canoe and outboard I used to take out on the Lower Hudson. We left at noon and motored till sunset, straight south, six hours. 42 miles by my reckoning.

OK, going out we was into the wind and climbing tall swells the whole way, could be thirty miles. Not sure how much difference it makes, I couldn’t even swim a mile on my best day, and we was way out of sight of land.

Going out was overcast, a blessing. Coming back was clear and calm. The sunlight off of the water was like a microwave, I felt like I was getting burned right through my blanket thrown over my head.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744