Shane,

Can you gun 208's from the belly? I can't recall whatcha had going on in that regard.

BMT,

The 175's always shoot very nicely,whether it a 1-12,11 or 10 (assuming 20" or better),but they are amongst my least favorite for terminal affects...as SMK's routinely tout that Title. A-Max's simply smoke them hard.

If a guy is talking but 300-400yds,that is squarely 223AI,22-250AI,243,243AI Territory,as all will beat up on the 308 easily. While Critters don't read headstamp,they remain much impressed by bullet selection.

Reloading is cheaper than buying over the counter,especially if Precision is of interest,especially in cnjunction with terminal affects. Win/win. Delving deeper,the .284" 162A-Max is a fair bit less coin than the Berger .308 168's,if one is truly srutinizing loot.re-hint)

I don't know that a guy has to be all that bright,to taste the differences extolled,as the culmination is more than a touch enlightening in actual application. In few words...you simply can't poke a bullet in the 308,that'll have it outpace the 7-08,though you can reliably make it recoil more. Reality is,I do not know a single soul who has gunned a 308 and a 7-08 side by each in real world circumstances and who aborted the 7-08 in the fray. I can however account for a long list of aquaintances who gun the 7-08 due to those findings and typically in the utility role. I reckon that tally is better than 50 barrels and humorously enough,I'm the sole 308Win "champion". Tough crowd,but they shoot/kill a bit.

Shadow,

Would love to see a pic of your 7-08.

Laffin'.

'35,

I can't like Bergers on Critters,thus my obvious barb in regards to the notion of same.

Dan,

Good call to forget the Woods talk,as it is squarely commensurate with your Ballistics "knowledge".

Feel free to muse the .264" 140 Berger's terminal affects,as per your accountings and talk a little about how you like your 260 chambers set up to receive them and say a little somethin' about COAL. That ought to be way more than ample.

For conversation,it is a breeze to arrange a 2.810" COAL 7-08/162 kiss,with ogives well above casemouths and typical SAAMI chambers are suprisingly in synch with the notion in general. The 162's svelte bearing surface is handy in more than a few ways,whether it speed or COAL.

I dig that you feel compelled to guess so wantonly,keep it up.