When I said +P+ to the pic explaining a lot, I meant it strictly with respect to the scope mounting situation. If you check my posts on this thread you'll find I've tried to avoid any nastiness. My interest was to figure out how someone could actually need a scope (with about 4" of eye relief) mounted so far back.

It's how I shoot, so sue me. Been shooting long guns offhand since I was about 6 years old, and I'm pretty OK at it, not gonna change anything now.

Honest question: Have you received any coaching or instruction since you were six but before you became set in your ways? I ask this because your extreme rearward head position reminds me of my friend's young son when he shoots the 22 that's too long for him. His head is that far back because it can't go forward. From a mechanics viewpoint I'm interested in how yours is still way back there.

My point isn't that I'm some sort of expert, or that everyone else is wrong.

My point is, my rifles are set up for me. I like the scopes back a bit further than most of you. So?

I'm no expert either, just an interested observer who became fascinated with figuring out the geometry of the situation.

It also seems there's a tacit concession that the way my M700's and Kimber are set up is perfectly reasonable, given that I'm 1/4" to 1/2" away from what you guys seem to prefer.

I'm not one of those guys. My Leupolds ride a bit farther forward than that. The oculars are typically ahead of the tang and near the rear of the bolt.

Model 7 stocks don't confuse me either. grin