You know, I've got a few rifles in the safe. Being a considerate father, and having some credit at a local rifle shop, one day I asked about 7-08's for the boy and ended up going home with a Kimber 84. I wanted his first rifle to be one he would always be proud of, take good care of, and have for the rest of his days, and as he got older and appreciated it more, he would look at his poor old decrepit dad and congratulate me on my good taste and wisdom in firearms.

My son is now 4 1/2, so there's a few years left before he'll actually be able to use it and appreciate it........but, with all the other choices available to me, I find it challenging to avoid grabbing the lil' 7-08 when I'm stepping out into the mountains. With a 120 tsx it's done well this past year, accounting for a few deer and one moose. I'm a big fan of the 270 Win, but this super cartridge is so close in performance as to make no practical difference that I can notice in the field.

And while I do not feel qualified to answer the "which is better" question, I can tell you that I like the 7-08 a lot. My son's rifle will likely have a scratch or two on it from dear old dad when he gets it, as I just enjoy carrying and shooting the little Kimber. And maybe, after I get one just like it for his younger brother, I'll get myself one as well.