"Anything a 7mm can do, a .30 caliber of comparable sectional density and ballistic coefficient can also do. The catch is, in order to send a .30-caliber slug over a trajectory as flat as that 7mm bullet, about 20 percent more recoil is going to be generated. . . . [A bullet in] 7mm produces clearly superior downrange performance in terms of delivered energy and trajectory at any given recoil level [compared to a bullet in .30 caliber].[4]

Because of the 7mm (.284) calibers greater ballistic co-efficient the 7mm-08 tends to bleed a lot less energy as it heads down range. It is well known that beyond a hunting range of 100 yards a 7mm-08 projectile in the 140 grain range is able to carry at lot more energy than its bigger sibling the .308. Hornady released a 7mm(.284)caliber projectile weighing an odd 139 grains. this particular bullet has set the benchmark for this caliber of bullet retaining great energy beyond 100 yards. within 100 yards the 7mm round fired out of a 7mm-08 is able to kill game as effectively as a .308 and beyond 100 yards is more effective in that it holds greater energy and also a flatter trajectory. at the velocities this caliber produce it still allows great expansion at ranger up to and beyond 500 yards."

I realize it's wiki. smile

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris