Originally Posted by TryMe

Have I made shots with a 7-08,that I wouldn't with a 308? Sure,lots of them. Residual velocity,ability to slip atmospheric conditions,Precision and gross familiarity are tough to trump in the flesh. Ele correction isn't the deal breaker all the time.

The 7-08 is a .308 cartridge necked down to 7mm. How is it really superior overall to the .308??? That's like saying, "I've made shots with a .280 that a .30-06 would not have connected on." If I had to choose between a 7-08 and .308, one will do slightly better than the other, depending on the situation. A big bull elk at 75 yards? Either cartridge will kill the animal, I would go with maybe a 180 partition or something like that in the .308. A mule deer at 400 yards? I would think a good 140 from the 7-08 would be nice, not that the .308 would not do fine too. Both cartridges can drop a deer at 30 yards or a huge bull elk past 300. So can plenty of other cartridges. It depends on the application. Extreme long-range hunting? The 7-08 would be the better of two inappropriate cartridges IMO. The difference between .308" and .284" is not very much anyway. I shoot a .30-06 and really, what can the 7RM do in 98% of hunting that the '06 cannot? The '06 has killed every big game species on this continent, just as the 7RM probably has. Deer way out yonder, the big 7 wins. Big bison at a hundred steps, the old 30 offers big hunks of metal that the 7 just can't drive. JMO. If I put a heavy solid bullet in the right place on an elephant with a .308, it would probably die. (Not recommending it). I would choose it over the 7-08 in that situation...but I want a .260 for real-world hunting when my .30-06 is more than I need to use.