Originally Posted by Whip
KK,
I'm looking forward to hearing more reports about your new 7 wt. What is your intended use for this stick? Last time I was in TB I cast the BIIx 7 and I gotta say, at least to me, it's probably one of the standouts of the line. I balked at taking it home with me though as I already have a St. Croix 7 wt and it works for me on the rare occasions that I fish a 7. Most of the time on the streams I've got my BIIx or WT in a 5 wt in my hand...80% of the time at least. My 4 wt WT gets the nod after those two, particularly for dries or when I'm on a spring creek. When it's time to dredge the depths for hogs or I'm in a pontoon boat, the 9 1/2 6wt BIIx is my favorite. Those are the 4 green rods that I've got now and it covers most of what I'm doing.

Did you get a chance to cast any of the BIIt's? I hear really good things about that line.

Yea I cast the 5wt,6wt, 7wt, 8wt in BIIx, the 6wt, 7wt, 8wt in BIImx and BIIt in 5wt. The BIIx 7wt is the sweetheart of the line for sure with the 5wt a close second. I liked the BIIt as well. It really has the signature winston action like the LT's but has the power of boron in the butt. It was nice and delicate in close but still had plenty of power to zing out a 70 foot cast.

I got the 7wt for 2 reasons. First being I've been working on my casting instructor cert for a little while and needed a 9 foot rod that was accurate, smooth and powerful. Second I wanted to use it as a big nymph and streamer rod that wasn't a tank. In the winter I throw some pretty big streamers and a size 6 BH prince is a standard in my box. I have a Sage Z-Axis 10ft 7wt that is a killer rod but its not as delicate as the BIIx and is a much better AK or saltwater rod then Montana rod.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08