Anyone actually run the numbers?

This was the easiest way I could think of to present them. Snapshots from my iPhone.

First, Banned Stick's load for the 7mm-08, running a 162 Amax at 2700 fps at sea level in a 10 mph crosswind:

[Linked Image]

Next, a 208 Amax from a .308 at 2600 fps, same parameters otherwise. That should be attainable, given that MontanaMarine reports 2550 from a 20.5" tube.

[Linked Image]

I chose this bullet because I am playing this one by Banned Stick's rules -optimizing the cartridge for long range- so as to beat him at his own game fair and square.

I'm no expert at long range shooting, but I've spun a couple thousand rounds downrange at it. I know enough to know that WIND is the big one. If that's not correct, Banned Stick, feel free to correct me- but to his dismany, it is correct.

The 7-08 drops about 6" less at that range. Drop is correctable; it's the ONE VARIABLE that we can control, and in fact MUST be corrected for at those ranges. This is usually done with a turret. The difference between these two loads, in terms of drop, is a few clicks on the elevation turret. Meaningless.

So, look at the wind deflection (which is THE meaningful thing) in the tables above. The 7mm-08 using Larry's pet load deflects a whopping .3 of an inch less, at 600 yards, in a 10 mph crosswind. One third of an inch. If you are aiming at an animals EYE, and could otherwise make the shot, that difference isn't even going to stop you from hitting it in the eyeball!

Now look at a couple of other items. The 7-08 is traveling ~50 fps faster at 600 yards, but look at the energy difference between the two. The .308 arrives plenty fast, and is carrying over 250 ft/lbs MORE energy at that range. This, in addition to being a substantially bigger bullet in frontal area and weight.

I can see a guy choosing the lighter recoil of the 7mm-08. that's a choice I might make myself.

On the other hand, I can see a guy thinking hmmm... if I'm REALLY going to hunt a 7-08 or .308 at 600+ yards, I want to hit that animal as hard as is possible... and therefore, choosing the .308. That's also a choice I might make.

But here's the most important point. What Banned Stick is saying- that the 7-08 is in any way more accurate, that a rifleman will be able to hit better with it, is complete and utter bullshit. ANY rifleman who can hit where he wants with a 7mm-08 at 600, would make the exact same shot with a .308 loaded as I suggest. .3" of wind drift at 600 yards is completely meaningless.

Thus, the two cartridges are functionally identical, EVEN PLAYING BY BANNED STICK'S hackneyed rules of using an odd bullet at ranges that nobody uses those cartridges for, anyway.

In fact, though the above has been my contention, when you look at the numbers as I've presented them I think a strong case can be made that the .308 is actually superior.

I don't expect anything other than derision, dogpiling, name-calling, etc from Banned Stick, VAnimrod, JDS44, Steelhead, Calvin, and the rest of the merry band. This post is for the other 99% of the Campfire who might be reading. If you agree with my analysis of this, and appreciate a calm discourse on the subject, feel free to say so, publically or in a PM to me.

Onward ho! Have a good one, peoples.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!