From the "Leupold Riflescope Owner's Handbook", (the little booklet that comes in the same box as the scope and has instructions for mounting same):

Page 5: "Because of the safety considerations associated with proper eye relief, Leupold strongly recommends that you mount your scope as far foward as possible."

Page 6: "------------WARNING------------- If a scope is mounted too far to the rear, the eyepiece can injure the shooter's brow. Shooting at an uphill angle also increased this hazard because it shortens the distance between the brow and the rear of the scope. For this reason, Leupold scopes are engineered to provide generous eye relief. Therefore, when mounting your scope, we recommend positioning it as far forward in the mounts as possible to take full advantage of this generous eye relief.

Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Hey Randy... I bet we have our Montana's set up differently that way... here's mine. All the way back towards me, just how I like 'em <g>. The scope has never touched me- though it did draw blood on a guy who shot it and crawled the stock.

Guess we are all built different, eh?

[Linked Image]