Definitive answer? There is none on the long vs. short question. At the present time, the shortest rod that I actually use is an 8 1/2 footer. I've got a pristine boo 5 wt that is 7 1/2, but it is a pig in my hands and it rips my shoulder a new one after even a few hours. Give me my BIIx any day of the week. BTW, Kenaiking, that 7 wt in the series is one awesome rod...I'm almost tempted to meet you down in Twin Bridges and pick out a 3 wt, bank account be damned (I mean, I really don't have to pay Uncle Sam his quarterlies on time, do I?). But Ingwe, my fly fishing soul really wants a light and handy 7 1/2 footer for the smaller water I find myself on. There's a great little place that I could catch 10" brookies all day long...it's high and cool and just the sort of place to be on a day like today when it's so friggin hot the sweat on your balls is sweating. Wild ginseng up there too, but I better not let the tribal members catch me up there eek
The city folks bailed on me today, so I think I'm headed to Strawberry for a little fishing. Too bad, I was looking forward to getting them a little freaky with a few bear stories ;)First I've gotta hit Brass N Bullets to replenish a few supplies. Have a good one guys....