Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by Starman
"Felony Murder" = when a death occurs during the commission of an "inherently dangerous felony.". It doesn't matter that they didn't intend to shoot the victim . The mere fact that you were committing a felony and killed someone can make you guilty of felony murder.
It could happen but you have to get 12 people to agree it was murder. That is a pretty high hill to climb. I see a jury compromising on some other wrongful death charge.
Nope. There's basically two elements to a Felony. You were participating in a Felony, and someone died. That's it. If Arbery had taken the shot gun from the Michael's kid and killed him with it, since father and son were committing a felony at the time of the death, daddy is still guilty of "Felony Murder".
As usual you are right. But a jury of 12 is going to have to agree and it is likely if not probable they will compromise to get a unanimous verdict. You can bet a defense lawyer is going to have some help in picking out jurors to strike and the judge can strike folks with obvious bias. The dad may even go free. I can see son pleading to something to get Dad out of it or at least get Dad down to aggravated assault. I'm sure you are aware that juries can run completely off the rails and ignore evidence and acquit an obviously guilty man. If that happens the judge is powerless.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."