An interesting thing... Teal put it that 'insulting a man's religious beliefs is akin to insulting his family'.

I do not question the validity of his statement. I think my experience bears this out. But it does raise a very interesting point: what about those of us who fit into a different category?

I mean as a deist I am getting sent to hell in a hundred different ways! Telling someone that their belief system is evil, or the spawn of The Great Satan, is sure to cause hard feelings. But the funny thing is that no one seems to consider it offensive unless it is directed at another denomination. Occasionally we offer the same courtesy to those of another religion.

I'm not complaining, just musing out loud I guess.

It is very difficult to truly see from another's point of view. Is it any more profane to tell, or imply, that someone is going to hell than to opine that their belief system is superstition? I truly do not know. But I know which one will get you in hot water more quickly.

Ah well, at least now maybe some of you can grasp why religious discussions are forbidden within the confines of a Masonic Lodge that is called to order. Even when one of the prime tenants of the fraternity is tolerance for those of different belief systems, you still have some subjects which are just too hot to handle.

So don't take it too badly. This subject has been causing hard feelings for a few thousand years. We are rich in that tradition. smile

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.