Originally Posted by gene williams
NOT "exactly" . I see it that way, but some see the rituals as being the essence or at least essential.

And that's the way the "bashings" start.

There are two examples I can think of. One being communion, the other baptism. I think most churches practice communion of some form. Baptism has always been a sticking point. Catholics christen a baby into the church. Baptists, and others, baptize when the child supposedly makes a choice after reaching the age of accountability. It is a profession of faith. We don't believe a child is responsible for original sin until they reach the age of understanding. From what I understand, in the catholic faith that profession is the first communion. Just like in the Jewish faith it's the Bar Mitzvah. I've heard it said that if you're not baptized by total emersion then you cannot enter the kingdom. I don't know, and even though I believe that I do not have the authority of the Lord so I cannot say with certainty.

Last edited by garryc; 08/14/07.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.