Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I've heard it said that if you're not baptized by total emersion then you cannot enter the kingdom.

"....Sorry Pal, you were righteous and God-fearing and accepted Jesus as your Saviour and all of that, but there's this total immersion clause...."

I always had some trouble with that. It's suppose to represent death and rebirth. I probably mis spoke in an earlier post in saying that I believe total emersion is required. I believe that baptism is necessary as an act or show of faith as required by Christ him self.
What brought the question to mind originally was when I saw my grand father baptized into his primitive Baptist church. I remember the discussions among the adults about the necessity of total emersion. It could have been bad because he had his larynx removed some years before and he had a hole in his throat. I thought, why is so important when it endangers someone, wouldn't water over his head suffice. He was baptized by total emersion and it worked out ok, but still...

Hey, how many 14 year old kids see grandpa babtized?

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.