"preaching"

I grew-up hearing my father preach, some times twice each Sunday morning.

For decades, I've heard a passel of other preachers preach.

I've studied how to preach, from both text books on the subject and transcripts of famous sermons.

I've preached many sermons in many churches of a number of denominations, for many years. I've often been applauded and complimented for my preaching and for my teaching, by church laymen and by esteemed colleagues in the clergy. (Can't remember ever being told that I was doing a poor job, not even any of those many times when I knew that I wasn't.) I don't even remember, off-hand, for example, how many kinds of Baptist churches that I've preached in.

I thought that I had a pretty good idea what preaching is �

� and what it isn't.

Apparently not.

I don't see how it's "preaching" to post a known fact or a considered conclusion � in an open thread that no one is forced to read and anyone can opt to ignore.

Is it "preaching" when you or I relate test results, personal experiences, or considered preferences about Chevy and Ford pick-ups � or gasoline and diesel engines � or personal impressions of Democrat and Republican philosophies, candidates, campaign tactics, etc? If not, then how is it "preaching" to relate personal discoveries or interpretations of faith in God?

I can see how it'd offend some if I forced them to listen as I plastered them with one kind of "you should believe" and "you must believe" after another. But I simply can not see how "I've found" and "I believe" is any kind of attempt to compel anybody else to comply.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.