Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Esoteric.

This is stuff I did in our basement when the folks were gone. Got a hold of some ~ .40 cal Minnie balls (conicals, Civil war era imitations)), where I don't remember, and loaded them in an emptied 410 shot shell. Have no idea of their weight but probably more than the three-inch shot load held.

I knew enough to know they had to fit through the choke of my H&R single shot but not much more.

Was amazed and then distressed that they penetrated my barrier of whatever and then went into the wall of the basement.

Gee,..now how do I fix this up? 😜🤔😀

Reminds of trying to fireform a 218 mashburn bee case in that garage. It's been many years so I forgot the exact charge but around 5 gr of red dot under a 60 gr hollowpoint which I figured was enough to get the bullet out of the case when fired from my 10" contender. That it did, and it managed to penetrate three 2X4's, a 4X4 and when it hit the concrete floor it was still going fast enough to crater the concrete and expand to the size of a quarter.

Lesson learned, don't fire a projectile from a firearm unless you have a suitable backstop.