Round 12 just concluded with some interesting results. I'll not bother you with another target picture, there was nothing exceptional therein.

Ran the standard 5 rounds of Norma TAC before and after and 4 groups of 5 with 1.0 grain of WW231. 2 groups were lubed with the SPG/graphite mix and the other 2 with NASA lube. They were all crimped easily with the tools pictured in the previous post and primed with Federal 100 (SPP) primers @ 20 yards.

Averages for each pair of groups:

SPG lube:....1066 fps, ES 50, Sd 20 w/ average group size of .75"
NASA lube:..1089 fps, ES 35, Sd 14 w/ average group size of .51"
Norma TAC:..1065 fps, ES 38, Sd 16 w/ average group size of .32"

Comparative averages with uncrimped loads w/same charge and CCI SPP:

SPG:...........1025 fps, ES 55, Sd 23 (2 groups)
NASA:.........1029 fps, ES 56, Sd 20 (1 group)

Having violated one of the basic tenants of research (changing more than one variable) I will revisit the exercise with ammo not crimped. I found it interesting that the average velocity increase was 41 fps for the SPG lube set and 60 fps for the NASA lube set. Whether this was from the primers or crimp I cannot confirm but suspect it is a primer influence more than anything else, if for no other reason than the ES/Sd numbers were lower. The small velocity advantage of NASA lube is consistent with the previous round and I suspect it will wind up my go to lube for this drill.

Only other interesting point was the amount of unburnt powder was greatly diminished to ~13% or 2.6 grains.

Forgot to mention that prior to lubing the ammo I put 10 rounds in a 10/22 mag and cycled them thru the action without a hiccup.

Last edited by DigitalDan; 07/15/18.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain