Originally Posted by shiwarlock
I don't remember what primers you are using, but I have a theory. It may be crap, but here it is. When I was reloading 22 Hornet, I read a lot about using very light primers, because the primer ignition could unseat the bullet and cause accuracy issues. Remington 6 1/2 primers were recommended. Some people used small pistol primers. Others would add a bit of a crimp. Since these cases are even smaller than 22 Hornet cases, my question/theory is what are the lightest ignition small pistol primers and would those light primers help?

Never underestimate the primer’s effect in small cartridge applications! 😲

I’ve only played with light cast loads in the Hornet and Bee. However, in spite of the conventional wisdom that suggests ‘softer’ igniting primers, even with full throttle loads of lil’gun and jacketed bullets, my No. 1 shot patterns with the Lyman 55 cast with 5+ grains of Lil’gun unless I fired the charge with CCI 450s. Perhaps it’s the extra space in the voluminous 🙄 Hornet case that requires it, but I would never assume the primer won’t change the results.

[Linked Image]

I don’t believe the charge weight on the L’gun loads is actual, but it was the #5 rotor in the Little Dandy RCBS measure.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 07/15/18.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.