Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Nah, but if it makes you feel better, make some jackets out of 22 cases. On the left is a 43 gr. .224 bullet made from a 22LR case. Trimmed to approx. 0.6 of an inch (8 grains weight). The rest is yer led. That should assuage the guilt.

[Linked Image]

My dad shot either cast bullets or bullets similar to what Steve is showing during WW II. I think his folks, mother and father shot cast bullets during the 20's and 30's, and my great grandfather and great grandmother shot only cast in their muzzle loader(s). (He got his thumb shot off at Gettysburg.)

I'm not sure of the cartridge as dad upgraded to a 222 in 722 sometime after the war. But I believe he was shooting a 218 Bee, but it may have been another?? Dad did not care much for lever rifles, I'm not sure why, but he really liked that 222. It was only much later when a few Model 92's came up for sale did dad ever have lever rifles again.

I cast for almost all the cartridges I shoot, including 22. Although I don't have a Hornet, I find a 223 can be loaded down fairly well with acceptable results. I have not measured the velocity of my loads, but use loads from RCBS cast bullet and Lyman cast bullet manuals. I use GC's on mine, but after the weather gets better, I may try doing as MD did and shoot as cast, w/o GC.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally