I'm not trying to encroach on DigitalDan here, but I wondered if I could get a .25 ACP case down to .22 lr specs.

So I started playing with that starting point and have worked out a crude process to form .25 ACP brass down, and have one prototype .22lr wildcat case formed. I just need to get the last "die" in the right size. I went too small on my first attempt, I expected more spring back than I got. All of this was done with primitive tools, drill bushings to size down in 6 steps, a homemade punch to push case out of said bushings, a bench vise used as an arbor press, a drill to spin the brass on the punch after the last sizing, and a mini flat file for removing excess brass from the rim and webbing area. The only reloading specific tool used is a small primer pocket uniformer. A LOT of effort for one case, but it can be done. Below are pictures of my efforts, in a google album. Left to Right .25ACP case, my .22lr wildcat case, and a normal .22lr case.

22lr Wildcat album

At this point I'm looking for a gunsmith to do some bolt conversion work for me. I have a spare bolt for my 77/22 All Weather and want to have it converted to centerfire.

I have worked out 2 options on this conversion, both require, probably, plugging the existing rimfire hole in the breech block. I don't have the equipment to plug the breech block, if necessary, and drill the new hole.

First option is to use the existing starting point on the back of the breech block and angle the hole down to the center. This is how, I think, the 77/22 and 77/17 Hornet breech block is setup.

Second option is to drill a centered hole all the way through and modify the striker and firing pin to work centered. This would require a more work, because it would require a spacer/stop and a larger bore for part of the channel so a spring can be placed around the firing pin. This will keep the firing pin from being loose in the channel when it's in the cocked position. This option would also require a breech block pin to be shortened/modified for clearance of the firing pin and spring.

Of the above options I'm leaning towards the first, but the second is doable, just more work.

Does anybody know of a gunsmith that might be willing to take on this project?

Thanks,
Sean