Mart, you be havin' fun with that rig!

In the interest of clarity regarding my objectives, the price issue is but one part of the puzzle.

My earlier estimate was something just under 5 cents/round, loaded and ready to pop. That was based on costs of .03/primer, $2/# of lead and 1-2 grains of powder in the range of $30/#. I recognize the prices are variable based on supply source and in fact may present somewhat differently. As example, 1# bars of pure Pb from Rotometals on today's menu is $2.99. Yesterday a local friend purchased 100# of roofing lead (functional equivalent to pure Pb) for $60. Depending on source tin can run $10-20/#. It's ballpark estimating and no inclusion of energy costs or time are included. I suggest that might be a wash in some cases with shipping for more sophisticated supplies. I do not see any financial incentive to using more components than required. I do not suggest a larger caliber won't work, but it will certainly cost more. I can cast 149 bullets of .224 caliber and 44 grains lead with a pound of alloy...and that is significantly cheaper than on sale specials for jacketed bullets. Roughly, 2 loaded rounds for the cost of one jacketed bullet.

Availability is a central issue. Are primers available? Rimfire Ammo? The proposal adds redundancy and properly crafted I doubt it will be an expensive entry. For example, add a CF bolt to a 10/22, buy a mould and set of dies.

The stipulated velocity realm is subsonic. That is my choice and your whims may differ. No objection on my part to that point, but as previously stated, I've traveled the road with results below my acceptable level of performance. If I want .22 mag/.22 Hornet velocities I will load and shoot them. There are both advantages and disadvantages to either side of Mach 1. Which way you drift on that is likely as much an issue of what you do and where you do it thing than any other influence. With a velocity of 1050 fps my Sneezer bullet has a calculated BC in the high .300 range. It drops off quite a bit above supersonic velocity and that is the nature of that form of bullet with a flat base. It does not suffer mach buffet or changes in aerodynamic moments at sub velocities. So far, it is pretty much as accurate as anything I shoot.

After some batting around of the idea I'm growing more convinced that should it ever develop it will be a useful and popular niche if it can integrate into existing platforms, action style be damned. Yes, I can and you can, do it wild and enjoy it. I'm looking for an opportunity suitable to the masses.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by DigitalDan; 05/16/17.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain