Trailblazing always costs a lot, and not just in money.

I would be happy to see something like what Dan is proposing as something different, particularly if loading can be done at the shooting range without the need for a press and dies. Many a pleasant day I have spent at the range with but a single cartridge case, can of powder, primers (and the means to de- and re-cap), measure, and a box of cast bullets- be it with a single shot employing breech seating or a bolt gun with a carefully prepared cartridge case and carefully sized bullets. For me, carrying that to the next step would be with tiny cases and .22 bullets.

My rimfire shooting consists mostly of experimenting with various heavy(ish) rifles and paper targets. Tin cans, pebbles, and pine cones are pretty safe from me. I don't waste (much) ammo on plinking and a serious system the likes of what Dan is proposing is right down my alley. The bulk of the rimfire ammo I shoot runs well over $10/box, and the thought of cutting that cost in half (eminently do-able) is appealing- not to mention combining it with my other passions which include bullet casting and reloading.

Besides, I get bored easily and the thought of something new that's also practical excites me.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 05/17/17.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty