Fifty years ago, when I was a young trooper with a steady hand, I did some exhibition shooting. I used a first generation Colt Trooper loaded thusly. .38 Special brass, with the flash hole drilled out, leaving more than enough shoulder to hold the primer. Push the unprimed case into a block of paraffin, Gulf Wax, available at grocery stores, if my memory is still good. This loads the projectile -think cookie cutter. Insert primer. No powder needed. You can target shoot with this. An aiming point above the target is required, as there is no recoil to speak of. A bullet trap of some kind is required. I used a box filled with magazines. It will penetrate drywall at 30-40 feet! Mark your case heads so that you don't mix them with the real stuff. Back then I filled the head stamp markings with red nail polish. There are more and better permanent markers available today.

I see no reason this would not work in straight wall chambered rifle. A top break single shot (TC Contender et al) might be ideal. The rifles might not tend to shoot so low.

I do not recall how often cleaning was required. I started the demonstration with a clean, lightly oiled bore. Most demonstrations involved less than fifteen rounds and the bore and chamber was cleaned immediately for duty ammunition.

I try to keep a good supply of .22 lr on hand. I don't think I dropped below 7000 rounds and I did not buy any from black marketers during the latest crunch. Pellet guns are a good alternative for I targets and plinking.

Not a writer, butI thought this might interest some.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero