Caught a break from the rain today and ran 52 rounds thru the paper. Not braggin' but it looks like a few things are coming together and I got a few chuckles out of the deal as well. Firstly, just before I put the can on the barrel I took a moment and shook the debris out onto a paper towel. I was somewhat surprised at the amount of unburned powder that emerged. The unburned part was verified on the driveway with a Bic lighter. Yep, weren't burned. It was quite a pile accumulated over the course of firing about 100-140 rounds previously.

So I started with a clean can (please spare the editorial levity), fired the loads and repeated the dump (don't say it). 25.7 grains of unburned powder of the large flake variety. Today's round utilized the following powders and total load of each.
800X - 21.0 grains
Blue Dot - 22.0 grains
231 - 12.0 grains

[Linked Image]

I had to chuckle about this new horizon of inefficiency that I have found.

With that out of the way, it seems that some of my tweedling has paid off.

For example, I probably won't pursue further load tests with Blue Dot. It isn't the low velocity that bothers me, but the lack of precision. This load is in the 90-95% load density range. You may note the reference to "NASA" and that refers to the type lube. I loaded 10 rounds each with 5 different charges of powder and further subdivided that with different lubes. SPG mixed with graphite and NASA lube without modification. I also tested 2 rounds with a mix of vaseline and graphite, a brew I will try again.

[Linked Image]

Anyway, I dabbled with some 800X and found myself shooting a group that brought on a smile since it was better than the fouling group with factory Norma Tac.

[Linked Image]

Since I was on a roll bumped the charge up 10% and let it rip....er....phffft. Yeah, these things are so quiet it's plain weird.

[Linked Image]

My testing with the different lubes in inconclusive at this point, but will continue due to a few hints. NASA has potential and the Vaseline/Graphite mix....only 2 shots, into a hair over .3" with modest velocity variation. 2 shots doesn't mean much, but it doesn't take much to make me look twice these days.

All of this went down on the 20 yard line and subject to a few more tests I'll start fiddlin' on the 50 just for giggles. And black powder. 3f and 4f. Dunno I'll get anywhere with it, but a fella doesn't know until he tries. Loads will be simple....fill the case and shoot; see what happens and let you know. One thing that is the schizzle about BP and mufflers, you can clean them in the dish washer. Simplicity is a good thing.

Oh yeah, next round? I have a new crimping tool and we'll see if that helps.

Dan

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain