Dan,

Yep, the Cooper cartridge's "marketing" was a flustercluck from the get-go, mostly because of Cooper himself. I got to know Cooper some in the couple of years before he departed the company, and the only reason Cooper rifles back then made any headway was their quality. It sure wasn't due to Dan Cooper's marketing skills, and certainly not his people skills, which were just about non-existent. One good example was the time he accused another company he partnered with on a gun-writer prairie dog shoot, where Cooper brought several rifles for field-testing. On the last evening one of the Cooper rifles couldn't be located right away, and he accused the other company of stealing it--but within a few minutes it was located in one of the SEVERAL trucks used to transport people to the shooting grounds. Even so, the Cooper cartridge just might have made it during the recent shortage, despite Mr. Cooper.

I'm quite familiar with the 225348, as as previously mentioned found the one's from my mold shot from my Ruger No. 1 mostly accurate as-cast, without sizing or a gas-check. But the heel of bullets from mine, cast from wheelweight lead, averages .220", indicating Lyman may have dinked with the design some.

If you'd like me to, I could mention your concept to a few people in the industry. With the low cost of some very accurate bolt-action rifles made today, it would be pretty easy to make one with two bolts for not much more--and with the volatility of American politics, another rimfire debacle is very possible.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck