Originally Posted by navlav8r
I remember an article years ago (maybe Handloader or Rifle) about problems and techniques associated with casting small bullets. The author mentioned the size of the sprue relative to the size of the bullet base as being one of the factors in accuracy. The author solved the problem by positioning the sprue cutter off center where only a small part of the bullet cavity was visible through the hole in the sprue cutter. In other words the sprue would be a small and football shaped on the edge of the bullet base.

I seem to remember that the author was using gas checks so the tiny deformity being on the edge of the base didn’t cause a problem with the bullet “release” at the muzzle.

Wiregrabber, I have actually noticed that myself, there is less deformity............. need to experiment a little, see just how much or how little hole is necessary to cast a bullet........... but the swage makes much better bullets. Did a little experimenting and put a few of the bullets in the swage base first, you can't tell the difference..................

Now I need a swage for my 300 Blackout..... smile

Last edited by Muffin; 03/01/21.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )