2ndwind, your timing if good with your questions. A report on Round 8 and a summary to follow.

Ran 16 rounds of CF per usual, with loads bumped up .1 grain and the odd man out at 1.1 grains. 5 shots for each group except the 1.1 grain load of WW231.
My summary of today's effort: A couple of flyers in the first two groups associated with velocity excursions, otherwise it seemed to do OK. Bullseye obviously went past the point of reasonable performance and I'll drop that off the list of things to use at this level. The salvaged Wolf powder has a message I think, that being that the powder used by the manufacturers might be key to success in the sense of precision. With exception of the odd little flyer it would have rivaled the Norma Tac for both precision and velocity. 4 shots in the 3's.

Numbers are on the target:

[Linked Image]

So here's where I sit with this. I have demonstrated the functionality of the idea, only some details need to be ironed out. Tools? Laffin' at that idea. I have a shell holder and a "size die" that will provide a mild taper crimp. That's a good news/bad news item in my view. Good that it illustrates the activity is doable with few if any tools IF the brass is used in the same chamber. Bad in the sense that I do not have what is likely needed to explore precision. The cartridge has demonstrated it has sufficient precision and power to handle small game at modest distance, say inside of 50 yards. It has demonstrated the ability to cycle thru a 10/22 without problems, but I've not fired it from that platform. If one has the brass and a little ingenuity here is a functional cartridge for the field, or for plinking. I really, really, wish I had a supply of the powder used in the Wolf ammo.

I need to revisit the mould provided by Steve Brooks. It is perfectly functional for preliminary testing, but the end product would benefit from adding a thou to the drive band diameter and a couple other minor mods. The bullet form was based on bullets from Wolf MT ammo and is faithfully replicated. Knurling with a file works fine, I've yet to experience any leading while using my mixture of SPG Lube and graphite.

My approach has been to test one thing at a time. That and a limited brass supply makes for a modest pace, but continue I shall. In my opinion, when one undertakes something of this sort it is proper to test, to the extent possible, one variable at a time. It is not a fast process.

I have ongoing dialog with two industry players, one of which has invited me to submit a proposal for production. I think the idea will have traction, but the final package(s) that may be marketed as a result are not my call. I favor two styles of tools. One would revolve around the Lyman 310 tool, while the other would incorporate current tooling that is common to hand loading. I suspect there would be a market for swagged lead bullets, bullet moulds, and certainly a style of powder suitable for the pursuit. The powder is out there, just hasn't been packaged for the retail market. I'm also thinking that this pastime would make gang moulds very popular.

For the moment if is not going to be available over the counter. That did not stop me, and does not need to stop anyone else who wishes to jump into the shallow end of the pool. With access to proper machine tools and a little skill, one could most certainly develop match grade ammo with the concept.

It will be a couple weeks before I do another round, family affairs will take priority for a little while.

Dan

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain