I wish i lived closer. We could get in serious trouble. I have acquired a stupid number of primed .22 LR cases to pursue the world of alternatives to store-bought ammo. My approach though is slightly different: I'm breech seating a bullet ahead of a case charged with Bullseye powder. The off-the-shelf molds I have (three Lyman/Ideal #225438's, each one somewhat different than the rest- they fooled with the design over the years) are only so-so, with alloys of 1-20 to 1-40 and no gas checks. I could/will plan to jockey alloy/hardness but I'm thinking maybe a purpose-built mold is in order. I'm getting around 1" at 50 yards, sometimes but rarely better, out of a Ballard target rifle that's good for around 1/4" with a favorite lot of Eley Tenex. I can do better, and a plain base mold designed to properly fit the throat may well be in my future. perhaps though I'm fooling myself and should drop back and investigate the benefits of a heeled bullet and creation of fixed ammunition. God, such looniness- ain't it great?!

The weather is starting to break here so it's soon time to start living at the range again!

Last edited by gnoahhh; 03/01/21.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty