Well, the 10-22 bolt has been modified and probably should never again be used for rim-fire....

The Firing Pin has been modified and the new nose welded on, reshaped/fitted and can NEVER again be used for rim-fire.

Seven primed cases were struck with the new pin, ALL 'fired' the primer on the first strike, save one, that one needed three strikes.

Suspected that firing pin throw or reach was the issue and disassembled the bolt ............... again!!

Throw or reach NOT the issue, but I did change the geometry of the pin nose, reduced the radius, and achieved a much better pin strike, picture below.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Center primer was the very first run, and while it shows little evidence of an actual pin strike it did go off.

Left and right are pin strikes after re-shaping the pin nose............... much better.

FWIW..... While I am NO gunsmith, and don't claim to be, there is a delicate balance between pin length, and overall pin travel............... likely not news to anyone. As of now, primers only go off when the hammer falls, did much testing letting the bolt fall to be sure there were no slam-fires............ hope that is true with live ammo also.........

More next week, maybe!!!

Last edited by Muffin; 06/16/21.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )