A sketch for consideration and a few things I puzzle about. It is not to scale, but the basic dims of the .22 LR case were filched from SAAMI. That said...

[Linked Image]

A few "issues" which I have no answer for and maybe one of you do.

- The rim is radiused on the rimfire ammo, but I doubt that building brass for a cf cartrige is amenable to that form. The SAAMI chamber spec. indicates a rim recess w/o radius and the one chamber I've looked at does not have a radiused rim recess. Anybody have any thoughts?

- The primer pocket depth above is a WAG based on dims from a .22 Hornet case and measurement of a CCI primer. My measurements were not precise due to a concave face in the primer pocket. The diameter is fairly solid however. Measurement of the primer yields .175" diameter and .118 length. The pocket mic's at .1725" diameter and .114" depth.

- I have no way to measure the web thickness accurately and do not know the industry standard. Crude measure on the Hornet brass suggests a ballpark of .070", but my eyes are skeptical. I pulled .050" web out of the air.

- Pocket wall thickness is a puzzle for me as well. My calcs suggest a .026" wall around the primer and I've no idea if that is good, bad or indifferent. The steering wheel states the first priority is safety, second is durability. Any insights would be appreciated.

Note the case capacity is reduced approximately 1/3. This was calculated on the assumption that the bullet heel is .125" long. Previous poking around puts capacity of the RF case around 3.0 grains of Bullseye and charges ranging from .55-2.5 grains of whatever they load RF ammo with. Were I a gambler I'd think the reduction of capacity would help reduce velocity spreads with handloads and currently available powders.

Anyway, that's my .02 worth today.

Dan

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain