Well, the saga continues with Round 4.

Short time back someone suggested a trial with Lil' Gun, and another said to try some Clays. I wandered down that path today with some curious results. Break down of the data follows:

Temp; mid 70's, wind light and variable. Double bag rest @ 20 yards

5 fouler rounds, Norma TAC: Avg 1057, Es 48, Sd 17; Group of .35"

All .22 GTC groups were 3 rounds:

Dupont Hi-Skor 800X .9 grains, WW SPP Avg 735, Es 26, Sd 14; Group of .33" Load density approximately 70%

WW540 .9 grains, WW SPP, Avg 682, Es 78, Sd 39; Group of .51" Load density approx. 50%

Blue Dot .9 grains, WW SPP, Avg 584, Es 30; Sd 16; Group of .42" Load density approx 70%

5 rounds of Norma TAC afterwards, Avg 1064, ES 37, Sd, 14; Group of .218"

[Linked Image]

No leading occurred. It was curious that with each group the velocity increased with each round for a given charge. With minor deviation, this occurred with the Norma TAC as well. With the .22 GTC the increase was generally about half of the extreme spread for each load.

While the average velocities for the three loads was low, the groups were reasonably consistent with previous trials and there is ample room for more powder. I will give the 800X and Blue Dot another spin, looking up to something in the 1 - 1.2 grain range if possible. Maybe even the 540 will benefit from a larger charge, but I won't hold my breath on that one.

With all that said, despite this adventure being detail oriented I am satisfied with progress to this point. Things to do? Crimping tool/die, maybe a slightly harder bullet alloy is in order. Stay tuned on all that.

Is it practical? Yes indeed. I suspect most of you would be pleasantly surprised at how easy the load process is, and though not yet finalized, the function is good, accuracy OK and bound to get better.

DD

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain