Much much more choices in Bullet weights and styles for one thing especially in factory loads, easily 5 times more factory loads available for the .308, as for Myself if I chose to hunt really big game such as Moose with such a rig I'd feel better with a well constructed 180gr .308 diameter bullet than any of .284's available in 7mm.08 factory stuff, not that the 7mm.08 wouldn't do the job I just don't think it's as well suited for really big game. as I said before for Whitetail I don't see a relevant difference and for the $200.00 savings I'd opt for the "Wife and Sons caliber" and put that 200 bucks toward some nice glass....someone mentioned the Federal HE loads, last time I looked Hornady had Light magnum loads for both calibers. My local gun shop has had the same box of Hornady 7mm.08 light magnum 140's on it's shelf for three years that I can remember, the poor box is turning yellow, even at three year ago pricing it just sits there. Not exactly a popular load I take it..........547.