No, I'm making my points while TryMe isn't here typing a post every 15 seconds and flinging insults around in every direction.

Rman, the point is that there's a variety of parameters to this whole stoopid ballistic gack business.

TryMe has set up a rather ridiculous- IMO- scenario and used it demonstrate the superiority of his pet cartridge. His scenario- extreme long range, using a very specific bullet, with a caliber that very few people would choose for hunting at that range, anyway.

But, we could very easily simply juggle things around a little and change the outcome. What if a guy cares about bullet frontal area and weight and energy retention- which are all very reasonable things to worry about in long range hunting? Well, the .308 smokes the 7-08 then, even USING TryMe's harebrained scenario.

What if we ratchet back to "reasonable hunting ranges"? To return to bedrock, here's what the original poster said:

Originally Posted by rem shooter
thought about 7mm-08 in rem mod-7.gun store has used but never fired one for sale $200 less than a new one. would use it for brushy wooded area on deer becouse of its shorter lengh than my rem mod 700 30-06.is this better than a .308 win in this type of hunting? not worried about recoil just the muzzle blast and muzzle lift, plus i reload for the 30-06 so have plenty of .30 cal bullets ... (snip)

Well heck, in THAT case my suggestion of a .358 sure looks good. As it does, if a guy cares about "thwack" and energy delivered (not saying I do, just saying a guy COULD).

But my point isn't that the .308 is better. My point is that they are essentially the same damn thing. Since it's so very easy to just juggle parameters a little and put one on top of the other, that right there proves my point.

See...?

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!