Originally Posted by Jeff_O
What if we ratchet back to "reasonable hunting ranges"?

This from the rocket scientist thinking 280 yards is too far to shoot an elk because it is facing him?

Jeff O
You are so far in a friggin' hole and so completely oblivious you will never understand. One of my all-time favorite posts (from Accraholic) applies perfectly... "If I knew as much as you I would be asking advice, not giving it."

Just so you stand a chance of catching something on the wind... Elevation means squat because it is repeatable and can be dealt with by the use of turrets... Wind... Not so much...

Doubt you have ever smelled coffee, but now might be a good time to go sniff a cup.

I disagree with your position completely. You have wasted billions of electrons for nothing and even now will waste more. I hesitated to say anything because it is obvious you will never get it.

Everything works up close and only when distance increases will a 7-08 make a difference over a 308... But for perspective, BW shot the sheep I reposted the picture of a day or so ago at well over 300 yards. He decided to neck-shoot him... Because he could. That was with a 6# 7-08.

You passed on a freakin' ELK at much closer because you only had a frontal view... Probably with a rifle you think shoots fabulously. If that does not tell you everything you need to know I do not know how else to explain it.

Some would be deciding which eye to shoot him in at 300 yards and you are thinking it impossible... I actually shot a deer at over 200 yards in the head when only the head was available. And with a witness and from off-hand... And you think a full frontal on an elk at 280 is too far... Oh, and that deer I head shot is in the book, so I had to keep that in mind when shooting...

And an elk at 280 is too far...

Amazing...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.