Originally Posted by TryMe
The .505BC 175SMK toddling at 2600fps,is akin to gutting a Buck with a broken beer bottle. Now add the .505BC 155 Scenar to the fray and things get sharper.

Neck the suck out of it,insert a .625BC at 2700fps and you've S30V.(grin)

I enjoyed that! I am going to resist the temptation to "neck the suck" out of my .308 in order to arrive at S30V! LOL! Well done! I applaud your wife and hope that she keeps a switch nearby in order to fend-off such wit.

Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
In regards to hunting/varmint bullets I can't see any significant advantage of one over the other.

That's simply where I am in this. I don't have the open terrain that would necessitate shots over 300-400 yards. 400 yards is a LONG shot for me.

For someone too dumb to reload,the 223 and 308 are defaults,due mainly to the incredible R&D shifted their direction much of which is attributed to the assorted Accuracy Games.
Considering the investment one would make to reload, I'm not sure that the 7mm-08 would deliver the type of returns the average non-handloading (and not always dumb) hunter would expect to see while avoiding the factory fodder route.

the 7mm bore size shines brightly

I just don't think the novice can discern the degree of brightness between then two at any range and the best of the best at close to moderate ranges. Moderate being 200-400 yards.

TryMe,

I understand your arguments and have no choice but to yield to any suggestion that experience dictates. However, I just don't feel the 7mm-08 demonstrates the type of superiority that would cause me to suggest it, over the .308, to anyone that was asking advice on which rifle to buy. The factory ammunition offered in .308 keeps it soundly in first place with me. And, in my humble opinion "knowing doesn't hurtcha" in this case.

WAR EAGLE!